Prepainted steel is available from Norex in coils, sheets, mixed sheets and slit coils. Prepainted steel available from Norex has a galvanized based unless otherwise stated under “remarks”. The paint may be Plastisol or Polyester, where Polyester is the most common.
- Polyester: Polyester coating is a heat - hardened silicone / polyester resin, applied to one or both sides of the coil. This is the most common paint type. The most common paint thickness is 25 um (5 um primer plus 20 um top coat)
- Plastisol: This paint coat may be up to 10 times as thick as polyester (depending on the Mill) and usually has a pattern such as leather or grain. It is more scratch resistant than polyester but not as color resistant and may fade sooner. Due to its high production cost it has lost share in the market and has been replaced in most cases by polyester.
The category that Norex selects for a particular coil is related in most cases to defects related to the paint, as follows:
- N1: The coil is almost defect-free. Small scratches may be present I the outer layer of the coil.
- N2: The coil may have a few defects, mostly mechanical, and may be used in standard applications.
- N3: The coil has different colors in the length of the coil, or parts covered with only primer, or parts that are only galvanized, without any color.
- N4: These are baby coils with the same defects that N3, but they have been flattened and strapped onto a wooden pallet. One such pallet usually has more than one coil.
Norex provides the RAL code for prepainted products in category N1. Test certificates are not available.
The quality of the steel depends on the base, either galvanized or cold rolled and is specified on every product list.
Norex will always provide to the best of its knowledge the correct description of a product’s quality and defects. If the material has any known defects, we will indicate the main reason for declassification in the column ”remarks”. Please note that one item can have more than one defect.
- The products may have visual defects such as scratches, discoloration or physical damages due to inappropriate handling.
- The products may be out of tolerances in flatness and size.
- The products may be outside producing mills standard quality grades and colors.
What is Norex?
Norex offers specified secondary steel products direct from our own stock with several warehouses.
Become a member
Join Norex and you’ll be able to see product prices, make faster checkouts, view your order history and much more.
Problems finding what you are looking for? Don't hesitate to contact us.